This vegan curry pot pie recipe was a “major course” entry in a recipe that we held a variety of years previously. It was submitted by reader Vanessa Burnum. She makes use of a mixture of lite coconut milk and broth to take care of the filling delicate and flavorful, and chooses full grain flour for almost all of the biscuit topping.
Whip Up this Vegan Curry Pot Pie for a Healthful Weeknight Meal
We initially posted this vegan curry pot pie recipe in 2014, nonetheless have since updated it with weight-reduction plan information, some further particulars, and options to some ingredient FAQs.
Can I Substitute Flooring Ginger for the Current Ginger?
Positive, use 1/2 teaspoon flooring ginger reasonably than the current ginger. To ensure that you a a lot much less pronounced ginger style, it is best to make the most of merely 1/4 teaspoon.
How Can I In the reduction of the Sodium on this Vegan Curry Pot Pie?
You could use low-sodium vegetable broth. Or simply model check out the filling sooner than together with any salt. Add the salt to model. You might uncover a lot much less matches your needs merely optimistic. I wouldn’t cut back the salt inside the biscuits, as this does help the flavour.
Can I Use a Completely totally different Kind of Lentils?
I don’t recommend swapping the lentils. Crimson lentils put together dinner up quickly, which is why Vanessa likes them for this recipe. Should you occur to make use of one different kind of lentils, they could needs to be cooked for for for much longer to alter into tender.
Can I Use Sweet Potatoes?
Undoubtedly! Merely keep in mind that sweet potatoes put together dinner up further quickly than frequent potatoes. Nonetheless the style of yams does go correctly with curry.
Do I Ought to Use Two Types of Flour inside the Biscuits?
No, it is best to make the most of merely all-purpose flour for all of the flour if preferred. Using all full wheat pastry flour may even work – the biscuits will merely be considerably further dense. Should you occur to determine to make use of 1 different kind of full wheat flour, I’d improve the ratio of all-purpose flour for optimum outcomes. Full wheat pastry flour is a finer, lighter grind than most totally different varieties.
Specific Meals plan Selections: Vegan Curry Pot Pie
By parts, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free, vegan and vegetarian.
For soy-free and vegan curry pot pie, omit the TVP or take into consideration altering it collectively together with your favorite hearty protein that’s soy-free. You presumably may even improve the lentils by 1/2 cup in its place. Moreover, you’ll need to select a dairy-free soy-free margarine.
Healthful Vegan Curry Pot Pie
1 hour half-hour
Creator: Vanessa Burnum
Recipe type: Entree
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons grated current ginger
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon flooring turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon flooring cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon pink pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose or full wheat flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1¾ cups lite canned coconut milk
- 1½ cups water
- 1 cup pink lentils
- 1 cup chopped potatoes
- ½ cup TVP (textured vegetable protein)
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ¾ cup plain unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar (can sub your favorite sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1¼ cups full wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons dairy-free buttery unfold, warmed to room temperature
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF and grease a 3-quart casserole dish.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, and celery and saute until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, salt, cumin, turmeric, cardamom, and pink pepper flakes and saute for 30 seconds. Add the flour and stir until evenly coated.
- Pour inside the vegetable broth, coconut milk, and water. Add the lentils, potatoes, and TVP. Put together dinner until the mix has thickened and the lentils and potatoes are easy, spherical quarter-hour. (Whereas this simmers, make the Biscuit Topping beneath.)
- Add the peas and heat by way of. Add further salt if needed.
- In a small bowl, whisk collectively the milk beverage, agave nectar, and vinegar.
- In a medium bowl, whisk collectively the wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper. Add the buttery unfold and whisk until coarse meal sorts. Add the milk beverage mixture and stir then knead merely until the dough holds collectively.
- Pour the filling into your prepared casserole dish. Unfold the biscuit dough on prime.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
Serving measurement: ⅙ pie Vitality: 359 Fat: 10.4g Saturated fat: 4.7g Carbohydrates: 50.3g Sugar: 6.5g Sodium: 1236mg Fiber: 14.6g Protein: 17.6g
Further Plant-Primarily based, Dairy-Free Dinners from the Oven
Dairy-Free Eggplant Lasagna
Plant-Primarily based Sausage Pizza
Vegan Baked Mac & Cheese